2015年12月6日 星期日

12:don't go to strangers

001927

It looks marvelous.
It's nice.
You know, with a little extra effort on my part...
Well, I mean... If I really worked at it, I suppose I could be hysterically happy in a house like this.
Let's take the grand tour.
I wish you could've made it last night.
It was a lovely party.
Well, if it's any consolation, I had a lousy time last night.
Well, whose fault is that?
Didn't I always tell you don't go to strangers?
Did I do something to earn that, or is that just an impulse?
Consider it a loan.
You can pay me back with interest later.
Oh. Mmm.
How much is this house?
$95,000.
What did they say they'd settle for?
Oh, 88, probably.
Why?
Because I might be able to throw a little business your way, if you have no objections to making a big commission.
Darling, I'd sell you an outhouse if I thought it would put a buck in my pocket.
Now there's the bastard I know and love.
Do you remember Charlie Eisen?
Bob and Nancy introduced him to us.
Yeah, he's a lawyer, isn't he?
Yeah.
He might be interested in this house.
He was at the party last night, and it seems as though he's planning on getting married.
Hmm.
Sounds like he's doing okay.
Who's the lucky girl?
Me.

work at something
to try hard to achieve something

hysterical
behaving in a wild, uncontrollable way, especially by shouting or crying because you are extremely excited

grand touroften humorous 
a visit in which someone shows you all the parts of a building or area

make it
1. to succeed in a particular activity
She made it in films when she was still a teenager.
2. to manage to arrive on time
We just made it in time for the wedding.
3. to be able to be present at a particular event
I can’t make it on Friday. We made it to the meeting.
4. to not die as a result of an illness or accident

consolation
something that makes you feel less unhappy or disappointed

lousyinformal 
bad or unpleasant

don't go to strangers
in the title song of Etta Jones' first album released in 1960 "Don't go to strangers, darling. Come on to me"

impulse
a sudden strong feeling that you must do something

settle for

throw.
to put something somewhere quickly and carelessly
推測的釋義:隨隨便便就能隨手搞定

outhouse
Aman outside toilet

bastardspoken 
an insulting or joking word for a man

sound like
to seem, from what has been said, as if something were so. It sounds as if you had a good vacation. You sound like you are angry.

Don't Go to Strangers     Etta Jones
Build your dreams to the stars above
But when you need someone true to love
Don't go to strangers, darling, come on to me

Play with fire till your fingers burn
And when there's no place for you to turn
Don't go to strangers, darling, come on to me

For, when you hear a call to follow your heart
You'll follow your heart I know
I've been through it all and I'm an old hand
And I'll understand if you go

So make your mark for your friends to see
But when you need more than company
Don't go to strangers, come on to me

Google:Etta Jones - Don't Go To Strangers (Prestige Records 1960)
IE:https://youtu.be/VBLaJtXbpRg